C-SPAN's 2015 Summer Educators' Conference
Each summer, C-SPAN hosts two teacher conferences in Washington, DC. The day-and-a-half long conferences are held during the month of July at C-SPAN’s headquarters in the heart of Washington, DC. Airfare to and from Washington, two nights’ hotel stay, and meals during the conference are all provided by C-SPAN.
This year's conferences will be held:
- Middle School Conference: Thursday and Friday, July 9th-10th
- High School Conference: Monday and Tuesday, July 13th-14th
At this conference middle and high school educators (grades 6-12) gather from around the country to learn more about C-SPAN and how to effectively integrate C-SPAN’s online resources into their classrooms.
Conference participants learn:
- About C-SPAN’s mission, programming, and event coverage
- How to navigate C-SPAN’s programs, websites and resources
- About our StudentCam and Teacher Fellowship enrichment opportunities that are available to students and educators
- Examples of how colleagues nationwide have effectively incorporated C-SPAN’s programming and resources into their curriculums to create engaging learning experiences for students
- About upcoming programming, such as C-SPAN's planned coverage of the 2016 presidential campaign
Applications are currently closed with the submission deadline of Friday, April 3, 2015 having passed.
Successful applicants will be notified of their selection by Friday, April 17, 2015
C-SPAN's 2015 Teacher Fellowship Program
C-SPAN’s Fellowship program is for educators who are knowledgeable about C-SPAN’s programs and can demonstrate successful innovative methods of integrating C-SPAN’s programs into their classroom.
For four weeks during summer 2015, Fellowship recipients will collaborate with C-SPAN’s Education department to develop new teaching materials using C-SPAN resources in order to better serve our Classroom members nationwide. This program takes place at C-SPAN’s offices in Washington, DC. Each Fellow receives an award valued at $7,000 which includes housing and travel expenses. Fellows will also participate in C-SPAN’s Summer Educators’ Conference where they share their ideas with education colleagues about creating innovative learning experiences using C-SPAN’s programs and websites.
All candidates must be:
- a member of C-SPAN Classroom
- a state certified middle or high school teacher of U.S. History, Civics, Government, or related curriculum
- knowledgeable about C-SPAN’s programming
- experienced with successfully integrating C-SPAN’s programming and resources into social studies curriculum
Read this open letter from our 2014 Fellows to learn more about the C-SPAN Fellowship experience, and what to expect during your time at C-SPAN.
Applications are currently closed with the submission deadline of Friday, February 20, 2015 having passed.
A panel of C-SPAN representatives will carefully review each submission. Applicants will be evaluated based on their knowledge of C-SPAN programming and websites and commitment to integrating C-SPAN in the classroom. Finalists will be notified by Friday, March 6, 2015. Each finalist must submit a short video sample of their teaching with C-SPAN by Friday, March 20, 2015, and participate in a phone interview conducted by the C-SPAN Education team. Fellowship recipients will be selected and announced by Friday, April 3, 2015.
Past ideas and work of Fellowship recipients include our:
A warm thank you to C-SPAN's 2014 Summer Teacher Fellows:
- Randy Bilyeu
US Government and AP US Government
McKinney Boyd High School
- Laura Binder
Global Studies and Citizenship, Intro to Politics, and Honors Politics
Norwich Free Academy
- Glenn Walker
Mycroschool of Pinellas
St. Petersburg, FL