C-SPAN's 2016 Teacher Fellowship Program
C-SPAN’s Fellowship program is for educators who have experience using C-SPAN’s programming in the classroom and can demonstrate innovative methods of integrating those programs into educational experiences.
For four weeks during summer 2016, Fellowship recipients will collaborate with C-SPAN’s Education department to develop new teaching materials using C-SPAN resources in order to better serve our Classroom members nationwide. The Fellowship takes place at C-SPAN’s offices in Washington, DC. Each Fellow receives a stipend of $7,000 to cover housing, travel, and living expenses. Fellows will also participate in C-SPAN’s Summer Educators’ Conferences where they share their ideas and experiences using C-SPAN’s programs with conference attendees.
All candidates must be:
- a member of C-SPAN Classroom
- a state certified middle or high school teacher of U.S. History, Civics, Government, or related curriculum
- experienced with integrating C-SPAN’s programming and resources into educational curriculum
- available for four consecutive weeks between the end of June through July (*some flexibility on start and end dates)
All application materials must be received by Friday, February 26, 2016. All materials will become the property of C-SPAN and will not be returned.
Finalists will be selected and notified by Friday, March 11, 2016. Finalists will be required to:
- Submit a video sample of their teaching with C-SPAN – not to exceed 15 minutes in length by Friday, March 25, 2016.
- Be interviewed by telephone by the C-SPAN Education team.
Fellows will be selected and announced by Friday, April 8, 2016.
All materials and products produced by the Fellows as part of the Fellowship Program will become the exclusive property of C-SPAN.
Past ideas and work of Fellowship recipients include our:
Read an open letter about the Fellowship from last summer's C-SPAN Fellows:
11th Grade US History & 12th Grade Government and Economics
Timberland High School
St. Stephen, SC
8th Grade US History
North Andover Middle School
North Andover, MA
9th-12th Grade Humanities
Metropolitan Arts Institute
C-SPAN's 2016 Summer Educators' Conference
Each summer, C-SPAN hosts two teacher conferences in Washington, DC. The day-and-a-half long conferences are held during the month of July at C-SPAN’s headquarters in the heart of Washington, DC. Airfare to and from Washington, two nights’ hotel stay, and meals during the conference are all provided by C-SPAN.
** The application process for the 2016 Summer Educators Conference will open in mid-February, 2016.
For reference, last summer's conferences were held:
- Middle School Conference: Thursday and Friday, July 9th-10th
- High School Conference: Monday and Tuesday, July 13th-14th
At these conferences, middle and high school educators (grades 6-12) from around the country gathered to learn more about C-SPAN and how to effectively integrate C-SPAN’s online resources into their classrooms.
Conference participants learned:
- About C-SPAN’s mission, programming, and event coverage
- How to navigate C-SPAN’s programs, websites and resources
- About our StudentCam and Teacher Fellowship enrichment opportunities that are available to students and educators
- Examples of how colleagues nationwide have effectively incorporated C-SPAN’s programming and resources into their curriculums to create engaging learning experiences for students
- About specific programming, such as C-SPAN's coverage of the 2016 presidential campaign