C-SPAN's 2015 Summer Educators' Conference
Each summer, C-SPAN hosts two teacher conferences in Washington, DC. The day-and-a-half long conferences are held during the month of July at C-SPAN’s headquarters in the heart of Washington, DC. Airfare to and from Washington, two nights’ hotel stay, and meals during the conference are all provided by C-SPAN.
At this conference middle and high school educators (grades 6-12) gather from around the country to learn more about C-SPAN and how to effectively integrate C-SPAN’s online resources into their classrooms.
Conference participants learn:
- About C-SPAN’s mission, programming, and event coverage
- How to navigate C-SPAN’s programs, websites and resources
- About our StudentCam and Teacher Fellowship enrichment opportunities that are available to students and educators
- Examples of how colleagues nationwide have effectively incorporated C-SPAN’s programming and resources into their curriculums to create engaging learning experiences for students
- About upcoming programming, such as C-SPAN's planned coverage of the 2016 presidential campaign
Complete Your Application Online:
2015 C-SPAN Summer Educators' Conference Application (Google Form)
Print Your Application and Mail to C-SPAN:
2015 C-SPAN Summer Educators' Conference Application (PDF)
Applications must be received by Friday, April 3, 2015
This year's conferences will be held:
- Middle School Conference: Thursday and Friday, July 9th-10th
- High School Conference: Monday and Tuesday, July 13th-14th
C-SPAN's 2015 Teacher Fellowship Program
C-SPAN’s Fellowship program is for educators who are knowledgeable about C-SPAN’s programs and can demonstrate successful innovative methods of integrating C-SPAN’s programs into their classroom.
For four weeks during summer 2015, Fellowship recipients will collaborate with C-SPAN’s Education department to develop new teaching materials using C-SPAN resources in order to better serve our Classroom members nationwide. This program takes place at C-SPAN’s offices in Washington, DC. Each Fellow receives an award valued at $7,000 which includes housing and travel expenses. Fellows will also participate in C-SPAN’s Summer Educators’ Conference where they share their ideas with education colleagues about creating innovative learning experiences using C-SPAN’s programs and websites.
All candidates must be:
- a member of C-SPAN Classroom
- a state certified middle or high school teacher of U.S. History, Civics, Government, or related curriculum
- knowledgeable about C-SPAN’s programming
- experienced with successfully integrating C-SPAN’s programming and resources into social studies curriculum
Read this open letter from our 2014 Fellows to learn more about the C-SPAN Fellowship experience, and what to expect during your time at C-SPAN.
Applications were due by Friday, February 20 and are now closed. Finalists will be notified by Friday, March 6.
* If you are an educator who would like to learn more about C-SPAN’s programs, you may be interested in applying for our Summer Educators’ Conference (see below).
A panel of C-SPAN representatives will carefully review each submission. Applicants will be evaluated based on their knowledge of C-SPAN programming and websites and commitment to integrating C-SPAN in the classroom. Finalists will be notified by Friday, March 6, 2015. Each finalist must submit a short video sample of their teaching with C-SPAN by Friday, March 20, 2015, and participate in a phone interview conducted by the C-SPAN Education team. Fellowship recipients will be selected and announced by Friday, April 3, 2015.
Past ideas and work of Fellowship recipients include our:
A warm thank you to C-SPAN's 2014 Summer Teacher Fellows:
- Randy Bilyeu
US Government and AP US Government
McKinney Boyd High School
- Laura Binder
Global Studies and Citizenship, Intro to Politics, and Honors Politics
Norwich Free Academy
- Glenn Walker
Mycroschool of Pinellas
St. Petersburg, FL