Our 2017 StudentCam competition will launch after Labor Day in September, but we're pleased to announce that this year's theme will be:
"Your Message To Washington"
What is the most urgent issue for the new President and Congress to address in 2017?
The competition will be open to all middle school students (grades 6-8) and high school students (grades 9-12), with students asked to create a 5-7 minute documentary on any issue that they believe needs immediate attention. C-SPAN will once again award $100,000 in cash prizes to the top 150 student filmmakers, including cash prizes for their teacher advisors. The submission deadline will be Inauguration Day on Friday, January 20, 2017.
Competition requirements include:
- Entries must explore the varying sides of any given issue, including those that may oppose the filmmakers point of view.
- Students may compete individually, or in teams of either 2 or 3 members.
- Documentaries must contain a small amount of supporting C-SPAN footage.
For full competition rules, teacher tips, and suggestions on how to get started, visit: www.studentcam.org
C-SPAN Classroom is delighted to offer our new 2016 Electoral College Map poster – FREE and available only to C-SPAN Classroom Members. This colorful 44" x 44" poster can jumpstart discussion and a variety of lessons on a wide range of subject matters and grade levels as you teach about the 2016 presidential election.
To reserve your copy, simply click here.
Features of the 2016 Electoral Map poster include:
- State electoral votes that reflect the 2010 census
- State abbreviations for easy identification
- States' electoral numbers color-coded to reflect the 2012 election results
- Locations of the 2016 Republican and Democratic Conventions
- The history of the election results since 1900 including electoral and popular votes
- Inset maps showing the electoral results since 1992
- Asterisks denoting Maine and Nebraska as district method states instead of winner-take-all
The poster is FREE of charge to C-SPAN Classroom members (* limit of one poster per member and only available to members residing in the U.S. and territories). Depending on the date of your order please allow up to 3-4 weeks for delivery.
All orders received from May 25 through August 10 were mailed on August 19, 2016. Our next scheduled mailing will be the week of September 12, 2016.