Bell Ringer: President Johnson’s Reconstruction Policy
Click here for a mobile-device friendly link (C-SPAN.org web page)
Professor Michael Ross explains the Reconstruction policies of President Andrew Johnson. (6 mins)
- History Professor Michael Ross, University of Maryland, College Park
- Habeas Corpus
- 13th amendment
- Black Codes
Bell Ringer Assignment
- Describe the makeup of Congress during the beginning of the Reconstruction period. How did this effect Congress’s beliefs and policies toward Reconstruction?
- When did the typical session of Congress occur during this time? How did this affect Reconstruction policy?
- Explain the three main points of President Johnson’s Reconstruction Plan.
- What exceptions were there to the amnesty provision in President Johnson’s plan? Why were these included, and what were their practical effect?
- Explain the results of the southern state’s new elections. What did these legislatures begin to enact?