Bell Ringer: The Black Codes during the Reconstruction Era
Click here for a mobile-device friendly link (C-SPAN.org web page)
Michael Ross discusses the Black Codes during the Reconstruction era. (4 mins)
- Michael Ross, University of Maryland History Professor
- Vagrancy Laws
Bell Ringer Assignment
- According to Mr. Ross, what were the Black Codes?
- What rights did they afford African Americans that they did not have during slavery?
- How did they shape the freedom of former slaves?
- According to Mr. Ross, why were these codes enacted?